A 20-something guy, who is known for his spontaneous crap, like the blog title.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The ostrich had his head in the sand

I've been reminiscing about the student days so much that I've decided to write down all the memorable moments I had. On my brand new blog no less. True to my voyeuristic self, I present to you, my top 3 embarrassing moments (in no particular order) as a medical student.

ONE
Looked stunned for a good 15 seconds when asked, for the very first time in M3, to examine the respiratory system of a female. I was super awkward for the whole time and was rightly scolded (after leaving the patient) by my female CG mate (MH), who said "It is equally awkward for you AND the patient. I think you should be more professional about it and go ahead with the examination." Okay. Then I gave MH a sheepish smile, while trying to wipe the sweat off my forehead. And neck. And arms.

TWO
Was asked to estimate the weight of a well-thrived 5/12 baby. I took the baby over from the mom and, after some serious thinking, I proudly declared the child to be 1.5kg, much to the surprise, and amusement, of everyone in the room, which by the way include 5 other parents, 4 CG mates, and 1 fortunately not-too-grumpy tutor. And I thought I could hear another baby in the far corner chuckle soon as I made my declaration. "Do you know what is the normal BW of neonates?" came the next question, and I realised I have made an idiot out of myself in front of 12 other people, including the "1.5kg" baby and his parent. Then my CG mate took the baby over and was spot on with an estimate of 7.5kg. Heh. I got strong arms la. 7.5 feels like 1.5 lor. Wa ha ha.

THREE
Was in the neonatal unit and was asked to check the neonate's cardiovascular system. Started with the peripheries and said the radial pulse was difficult to feel. "So what other pulse can you feel for in the upper limb?" "Er, the brachial pulse." "Ok, where is that?" Then, I went to the arm and started feeling the medial side, near the axilla. "What … are you doing?!" I think she was trying to be courteous. "Er, the brachial pulse." "Is this where you put your stethoscope when you take BP?" *Cue sheepish smile and wipe sweat drill.*

There are probably more moments like this, but I can most vividly remember these 3. Fortunately, pleasant memories outnumber these super pai-seh ones. Patients were often forthcoming and encouraging, and tutors were helpful. And of course I had much fun zao-ing lecture (for marvelicious Macs breakfast) and slacking/crapping in the student lounge with CG mates and other people.

Here's wishing more pleasant times ahead as we embark on a new journey.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know who u are!! hehe

9:09 PM, April 14, 2006

 
Blogger Jerome said...

hello! hehe. how did u locate it? anyway, DM's been wondering who I am, so the next time you see him (think you guys are planning something right? with the fat african lady with PCOS?) can let him know la. since i'm nhg and you guys are shs.

1:24 PM, April 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also know!

5:44 PM, April 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. think i told them already =p
what gave it away? let's see, the raoul shirt thingy, the way u write ur notes, and MH scolding u. hahaha...

6:25 PM, April 15, 2006

 
Blogger Jerome said...

right guys... ha. =)

9:04 PM, April 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh!!! you zao lectures!!! haa...

11:10 PM, April 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home